Saturday, 24 April 2010

History of Crunwere Parish, Llanteg

Crunwere (also previously known as Crunwear) is a small rural parish with the parish church being situated on almost the very easterly border with Carmarthenshire, the tiny stream than runs to the east of it being both the parish and county border.
There is also a ‘well’ marked on maps, situated just outside the churchyard’s north easterly corner.

1844 - Samuel Lewis in the Topographical Directory of Wales 1844 gives the following description for ‘Cronwere’:
266 inhabitants, 2000 acres (1500 arable, 500 pasture). Hilly, soil various, red earth affording rich pasture, other parts are cold and sterile...there is a village named Lanteague, the only one in the parish, also a corn mill and a mill where the coarse cloth of the county is prepared and dyed..... a limestone quarry is worked, producing a material of fine quality.....the Church now nearly in ruins and contains 200 sittings. A day school with 55 children taught at the expense of their parents, also a Sunday School, supported by subscription, with about 40 children.